Senior Perl Developer
Fourteen years of Perl, Linux & web development experience, primarily
in applications and services for data management and presentation.
This includes designing and leading large scale, multi-year
projects from architecture to execution, working closely with the business,
stakeholders and implementers. Collaborative team builder with strong
leadership and communication skills. Extensive experience in project,
personnel and resource management in an Agile environment.
Seeking a senior developer or team lead role where I can
use not only my development skills but also leverage
my years of proven experience in application design and team coordination.
Example Skills & Experience
CSS, RSS, jQuery, SQL, Informix (SPL), MySQL, ServerStudio, Apache, Perforce,
Subversion, Bugzilla, JIRA, Confluence, SSH, GPG, Selenium QA, XML, Agile, Scrum
Manager of Release Operations
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, February 2012 - Present
Responsible for managing all aspects of CIDC's
release process, from day-to-day operations to process improvements, as well
as providing development and test environment support.
- Lead a team of 3 Release Engineers.
- Ran the daily Release Control Board stand-up and ensured the status
of queued releases was communicated to the business daily.
- Began development of a tool for recording release instructions and
status, as well as automating releases, using Perl with Dancer & MySQL.
- Began discussions with Development and QA Directors on formalizing
and how that could benefit our goal of Continual Integration.
- Reviewed and prioritized the project backlog for improving automation
and testing within the release process.
Software Development Group Manager
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, June 2009 - Present
As a Group Manager I was responsible for mentoring
my reports, leading design discussions, providing peer reviews, and ensuring
the use of company and general best practices for development, leading by
the example of my own development work.
- Lead a team of 5 developers, striving to ensure
everyone dependably delivered high quality work.
- Responsible for the long-term stability of the company's
Affiliate Management platform (EVA), acting as both Product Owner and Architect.
- Act as a technical lead on many additional projects beyond EVA.
- Coordinated work with other internal departments including Quality
Assurance, Release Engineering, Marketing and Affiliate Management.
- Continued as a primary organizer of CIDC's Infrastructure
- Technical lead on the implementation of CIDC's Perl
Runtime Environment, which decoupled the company's Perl based
tools and services from the OS version of Perl.
- Technical lead on the migration of Development, QA and
Staging resources to VMWare, with the goal of automated deployment.
- Mentored personnel within an Agile team environment, assisting with
the adoption of Scrum and participating in and encouraging ongoing training
in Agile processes.
- Provided cross-departmental training in Perl
- Generally championed the adoption of a variety of Best Practices for
software development, and strongly encouraged my reports and teams to do
Sr. Software Engineer
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, March 2007 - June 2009
As part of the server-side development team, I
worked on nearly every portion of the company's software, both internal
management and customer facing.
- Worked as a primary developer on
the company's two highest profile, externally facing projects to
be released during this period.
- Involved in specification review,
timeline estimation, documentation, and release coordination for nearly
every project on which I was involved.
- Assigned as Development Liaison to the QA department.
- Introduced Selenium IDE to
CIDC, provided training for QA and Development, and
assisted in planning how to incorporate these tests in our processes.
- Involved in pilot project to introduce Selenium RC to the QA pipeline.
- Provided internal support and training on the use of the jQuery and
- Worked jointly with Release Engineering documenting the
company's SDLC, recommending the inclusion of certain Best
part of the SDLC.
- Helped form CIDC's Engineering Infrastructure Task Force,
and served as Server Side Developments representative.
- Won numerous quarterly awards and contributor appreciation bonuses.
System Support 3
Bioinformatics Program, BMERC, Boston University Jan. 2004 - March 2007
Provided systems support and development
for the Bioinformatics
Program. Help the Center's graduate students and postdoctoral
fellows develop new tools to meet their own research goals, including
providing advice on good software development practices.
- Developed new methods for
prediction and classification of WD repeat containing sequences.
- Assisted in developing
specifications and bid review on 200+ CPU purchase.
- Improved and extended database
schema's, including incorporation of extended WD repeat library and
preliminary genome assemblies.
- Streamlined update procedures for new genomes.
- Provided genomic databases and tools for use on the BioWulf cluster.
- Developing a new student management system to meet the
specific needs of the program.
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Molecular Biology
Sep. 2001 - Jan. 2004
Project leader for development of mission
critical applications for the MGH's
DNA Core, principally
Information Management System (LIMS).
- Spearheaded adoption of software
development best practices such as version control and setting up a
dedicated QA and documentation team.
- Coordinated representative users
and core managers to develop requirement specifications, and guided
development to meet those requirements and QA to validate project
- Integrated data management tools
for four subgroups within the DNA Core: Synthesis, Sequencing,
Bio-Automation and Microarray.
- Developed tools for incorporating
a wide range of high-throughput equipment for such tasks as
sequencing and oligonucleotide synthesis and support for product QC
and process control.
- Provided a web front end for
process management with secure (SSL) access from any computer on a
permitted network using any modern browser. System incorporates
group and user access controls to resources and data.
- Created a client interface for
placing orders for oligo synthesis and sequencing including tools
for tracking the progress of an order.
- Provided order and account reports suitable for import into
the existing billing proceedures, greatly improving the level of
automation in tracking customer orders and generating invoices.
See the long version of this resume.
References and letters of recommendation available upon request.